Just like those scary horror movies about ghosts, I hate anything that is invisible. And one of those scary invisible things is carbon monoxide. I am a firm believer that you will sleep better at night when your home's security system is working well, and also when you have properly installed fire and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
Illinois law requires that every home and apartment have a carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of sleeping areas.
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that can cause sickness or death when not properly vented. It comes from the incomplete combustion of common fuels such as heating oil, gasoline, coal, wood, charcoal, kerosene, propane and natural gas.
Be aware of the following symptoms:
-dizziness and weakness
-Install a carbon monoxide detector everywhere that one should be
-Have your heating equipment checked annually by an HVAC tech
-Keep the areas surrounding your gas applicances free from clutter or trash.
-The detector should meet current UL standards.
Nothing beats a great night's sleep and that comes from being confident that you have done all that you can to ensure everyone's safety. So instead of saying "I'll get to it one of these days", why not make sure that everyone stays safe by doing it this weekend!
Source: excerpt from Nicor Gas - Safety