Nothing says 'fall' quite like a freshly baked apple pie! We look forward to the first crisp afternoon perfect for pie baking all summer long. Yep, that's right... we are fall people around here. And we are happy to share our favorite recipe with you so you too can look forward to making that same glorious memory.
We prefer a crumble topping as opposed to the traditional pie crust. The best thing about a crumble pie is that you don’t need to worry about making the top perfect – the rustic nature of the crumble gives it a homemade feel that is perfectly imperfect.
And don't worry, you don’t need to spend all afternoon making a pie crust... go ahead + take a shortcut... use the frozen pie crust. (Gasp!) Feel free to make your own should you choose but I think it is much better to have a pie in front of you to eat that's 75% homemade rather than having the idea of a delicious 100% homemade pie. But your choice... Let's get started!
4 Honeycrisp or Pink Lady Apples – I like to bake a pie with an apple I’d eat on its own (the same idea as cooking only with wine you’d drink)
Juice of half a lemon
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Stir filling ingredients with sliced apples until combined – set aside for a few minutes
½ packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup oats
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/3 cup melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 400º
2. Stir filling ingredients with sliced apples until combined – set aside for a few minutes
3. In separate bowl combine all dry ingredients for crumble. Combine all topping ingredients using a fork until completely mixed and crumbly.
4. Spoon apple mixture into pie crust of your choice – do not put the excess juice in
5. Sprinkle crumble topping
6. Place pie on large baking sheet to catch any runover (you’re welome for the reminder ☺️)
7. Bake for 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 350º and bake for additional 45 minutes to 1 hr depending on how firm or soft you prefer your apples to be.
8. Cool for an hour and top with Dean’s Vanilla Bean Ice Cream - a must!